Sunday, October 14, 2012

Over the weekend I had a blast! Friday night I was a guest at the Regional Animal Shelter benefit in the Gloversville Pizza Hut parking lot and the following morning, Sigma Delta Tau and Phi Kappa Psi hosted the walk for Berkshire Farms! On friday night I traveled home from Latham after a brief meeting with the owner of Spare Time Family Fun Center. I am not going to go into detail but I am about jumping up and down with excitement because of the plans we have made so far for the next event! More information will come soon ;) When I got back I immediately went home and dressed in my warmest clothes...minus the five inch pink wedges I added to my outfit lol those only lasted an hour and then i was opting for the flats. I fastened my sash onto my jacket and put my crown on and then headed out the door. I was immediately jealous when I got to the pizza hut parking lot because I did not bring a dog OR a bike! But what made up for that were the many opportunities I was given to talk about my platform and the reason why I was attending this event in my crown and sash.
There was a piece of paper with the many donors of the event and it was so exciting and thrilling to see how many people came out to support the animals and the shelter despite the very cold weather. I met a variety of different people that night all with different personalities and interests but with one focus in common...the well-being of the animals and preventing abuse.
I took the microphone to explain my reasons for being at the shelter and why I have such a passionate love for animals. In the picture you have a clear view of my pink wedges of death! :) The grand creator of "Fulton county and beyond" was in attendance along with Mayor Dayton King! Thomas Voght and his son Thomas Voght Jr. founded the 2Wheels Bike night in a parking lot of a Cumberland Farms and turned it into an event to help the animals out of the generosity and kindess of theitr hearts. They are already planning next years event at an earlier and warmer time!
The event had a great turn out and was something anyone would have been disappointed to miss. I am more than happy that I was able to come down from school and make an appearance. I was able to talk to Channel Thirteen news about my platform and how much we really needed the regional animal shelter in our area. The best part of the night was just being able to be home and talk to those who have the same passion as I do. Also, it is amazing to see the beautiful relationships between pets and their owners. Many people came out with their own dogs and one dog was adopted right there while another is having paperwork done for her adoption in the next couple days. Elliot is a chocolate lab puppy who was adopted by Gordy and Debbie Suits. They were so happy to welcome Elliot into their home due to the fact that their dog had passed away and they are retired. It is for certain that Elliot will have a very happy long life with his new owners :)
At the end of the night we pulled the tickets for the raffle. This adorable little girl received the best prize for best paint! She also told me she has a minature horse at home named Sally :)
The total amount of money that was raised for the regional animal shelter was over 1600 dollars! Thank you so much to those who came out to spend some time with the adoptable animals and those who would give their lives for their well-being!
 
On Saturday morning after I had travelled back to Oneonta, the walk for the Berkshire Farms took place in the alumni Field House on campus. Berkshire Farms Center for Youth Services deals with helping children and their families work through life problems, offers counseling services and more. We raised total of 700 dollars!
 
It was so nice to see all of the other greek organizations coming out to support Sigma Delta Tau and Phi Kappa Psi :) We have a philanthropy of Preventing Child Abuse in America and Phi Kappa Psi has a philanthropy regarding the boys and girls club so we figured that this would be a great event for us to team up on.

there were letters of encouragment that we allowed people to write at tables placed on the outside of the gym as well!
More to come about the Berkshire Farms walk!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment